6/21/2011

A Trip to Büyükada on Market Day


The American Market on Büyükada

It is just a short ferry ride across the water to Büyükada, the largest of the Princes Islands just off the coast of Istanbul, and I wonder why I don't visit more often. This week I went to visit my good friend, Angela, and she took me to Büyükada's weekly market. The market is in two parts, the so-called American market that sells clothes and household supplies, and the fresh produce market. I took my camera, hoping to get some good shots, but the weather was overcast, with a sprinkling of rain, so my photos were only so-so.



Towels and linens for sale


This lady modelled a dress she wanted us to buy.


Many of the stall-holders enjoy having their photo taken


All kinds of fresh produce is for sale

After the market, we went to Angela's home on the island to have lunch. Angela made Börek for lunch, which we ate with salad. Börek is a typically Turkish dish that comes in a variety of forms and fillings. Angela made hers with cheese, eggs, milk, and flavourings, wrapped in a special pastry. I was fascinated to see how it was made, and was so engrossed that I forgot to take a photo of it. I hope Angela makes Börek for me again, as I really need a photo - well that's my excuse, it was rather delicious!



Angela's welcoming front door

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to have your thoughts on any aspect of my blog.

Press Centre

Press Centre
I couldn't resist this one!