9/30/2012

Cirque du Soleil in Istanbul


David and me, ready for an evening's entertainment

Last night we went to see Cirque du Soleil, courtesy of Shane, the General Manager of the Ulker Sports Arena where the performance was held. The evening was absolute magic, a symphony of music, dance and the most incredible acrobatics imaginable. Everything was choreographed from beginning to end. It wasn't one act followed by another, but rather never-ending music and movement, as each scene flowed into the next. I was mesmerised with the beauty and skill of the performers.


Barbara, Ann and Shane

Cirque du Soleil takes many forms. The one we saw was "Alegria" (Spanish for Joy). It was titled, "A Baroque ode to the energy, grace and power of youth". All the acts were amazing. We saw contortionists, whose bodies seemed made of rubber; acrobats flying through the air, defying gravity; fire jugglers; contortionists, and hilarious clowns. The opening number with the synchronised trapeze artists can be seen here, on You Tube.


The scene is set. The Ulker Arena is a vast open space, primarily for MBA, 
so the stage was set at one end, and seats placed on the floor of the arena.

The publicity blurb about Alegra says:

"Alegría is a mood, a state of mind. The themes of the show, whose name means "jubilation" in Spanish, are many. Power and the handing down of power over time, the evolution from ancient monarchies to modern democracies, old age, youth - it is against this backdrop that the characters of Alegría play out their lives. Kings' fools, minstrels, beggars, old aristocrats and children make up its universe, along with the clowns, who alone are able to resist the passing of time and the social transformations that accompany it."


The show begins...

Unfortunately, we were told to turn off our phones and cameras at this point, as no photos were allowed. But as I was too absorbed to take any photos anyway, I wasn't too put out!

If ever you get a chance to see the Cirque du Soleil, don't hesitate. You will be in for a memorable evening. I certainly want to see them again. Thank you, Shane, for your generosity. It was an evening I will never forget.

4 comments:

  1. This is quite an experience Elizabeth. I will remember to attend "Cirque du Soleil" when I tour that part of the world.

    I love watching dances and songs from that part of the world because of their unique and incredible culture. But I would most probably cringe at the contortionists. I imagine their bones breaking that's why.

    Thanks for sharing this wonderful experience with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a wonderful event! I had a chance to go to the Cirque du Soleil in Korea a few years ago and I'm still kicking myself for passing up the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments. It really was a wonderful experience and I would definitely go again. I'm sorry you missed it Nomadic Samuel. Better luck next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    Công ty vận chuyển hàng nước ngoài FadoExpress hàng đầu chuyên vận chuyển, chuyển phát nhanh siêu tốc đi khắp thế giới, nổi bật là dịch vụ gửi hàng đi mỹ, gửi hàng đi nhậtgửi hàng đi pháp và dịch vụ chuyển phát nhanh đi hàn quốc uy tín, giá rẻ

    ReplyDelete

I would love to have your thoughts on any aspect of my blog.

Press Centre

Press Centre
I couldn't resist this one!