4/05/2012

Gary Visits from Saratoga Camera Club


While I waited to meet the group, I noticed the people setting up their 
booths to sell seed, to feed the pigeons outside the Yeni Camii

Our photography club was pleased to welcome Gary, who was visiting Istanbul with his wife, Ann. Gary belongs to Los Gatos - Saratoga Camera Club, and had contacted Jennifer, our leader, to see if he could join us on a trek. This was a great idea, as we were able to show Gary parts of Istanbul that most tourists never get to see.


We set off across the Galata Bridge to shoot the fishermen there


We came across this man selling live worms and shrimp for bait


This woman was selling buns, called poaça, to the hungry fishermen


Once on the other side of the bridge in Karaköy, I took a photo of
Farzana taking a photo of this simit seller


We visited a baklava bakery, and this waiter was eager to show us a 
tray of baklava, decorated to show Barak Obama.


Here is a close-up, so you can see the work 
that went into the decoration


We visited a Russian Othodox Church on the 5th floor of a building.
From the window, we could see other churches on the tops of buildings


We were surprised to see a Turkish Orthodox church. 
I hadn't realised they existed until now.


In one narrow street, we came across this street dog that had 
made itself comfortable on an armchair in the street


Ieva was good enough to model for us, so we could practise portrait shots...


...and jumping shots


We ended by walking along Istiklal, and back down to Karaköy


This musician was very accommodating, 
and didn't mind us taking photgraphs of him

I certainly enjoyed my day, and I hope Gary did too. I think he had an excellent idea in contacting our group. It's something to consider when I am in foreign parts myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to have your thoughts on any aspect of my blog.

Press Centre

Press Centre
I couldn't resist this one!